The Number 1556 GE 70 Ton Switcher Diesel was built in 1950 by General Electric Transportation Systems for Pacific Great Eastern Railway (PGE). The locomotive was originally numbered 556 by PGE and was one of six GE 70 locomotives they owned.
In 1965, PGE retired No. 556 and sold it to Lake Ontario Steel Company (LASCO) in Whitby, Ontario. There it was repainted and renumbered #1. The locomotive worked in the yard moving scrap steel.
Around 1985, the locomotive was sent to Toronto to get a new engine and be repainted. A 600 HP Cummins motor replaced the 600 HP Cooper-Bessemer motor.
In 1997, the locomotive was acquired and lead by the founder of SOLRS, where it pulled trains for St. Thomas Railway.
In 2007, it moved to Waterloo and started Waterloo Central Railway. The locomotive was renumbered 1556 and in 2008 was repainted with a CN-style scheme.
|DESCRIPTION||70 Ton Deisel-Electric Switching Locomotive|
|MODEL||GE 70 Ton|
|BUILDER||General Electric Transportation Systems|
|PREVIOUS OWNER||Pacific Great Eastern, Number 556|
|ACQUIRED FROM||Lake Ontario Steel Company|