History of Baggage Car 4560
1948: Waterloo Central Railway baggage car 4560 was built in February by the Canadian Car & Foundry for the Canadian Pacific Railway as Horse Express Car 4560. 4560 (along with 4565) differ from most baggage cars with three sets of side-doors instead of two. It also has a large end-door for loading and unloading circus-ramp-style. It could accommodate 18 horses and six attendants. It was said that enthusiastic horsemen noted riding in 4560 was as smooth as riding in a passenger car. 4560 originally carried valuable race horses and thoroughbred saddle horses.
1963: The car was converted to a baggage car and was renumbered to 4600. It was later renumbered again to 2600.
1974: It was rebuilt into a historical display car and was renumbered to 80. 80 was used for special event trains, as well as on the Royal Canadian Pacific tour train.
2013: In November, the Waterloo Central Railway purchased CPR 80 from the Canadian Pacific Railway. It was then moved to WCR’s St. Jacobs yard where it was stored.
2018: Waterloo Central Railway began restoring WCR 80 to operating condition after a fire broke out in the car while being shipped from the CPR in Alberta.
2020: WCR 80 was renumbered to WCR 4560 as part of a new series of changes which will reflect the organizations efforts to bring history to life.
Present: WCR 4560 is used as a storage and staging car for special events.
|Builder||Canadian Car & Foundry|
|Date Built||February 1949|
|Lineage||Canadian Pacific 4560 (Horse express)
Canadian Pacific 4600 (baggage)
Canadian Pacific 2600 (baggage)
Canadian Pacific 80 (display)
Waterloo Central Railway 80
Waterloo Central Railway 4560
The historical information and photos presented on our website are gathered from several sources including historical websites, literature and first-hand accounts of volunteers, staff and industry experts.