History of Boxcar 3709
1953: Waterloo Central Railway boxcar 3709 was built by National Steel Car for the Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo Railway as boxcar THB 3450. Later in its career with the TH&B, the boxcar was renumbered to THB 3709.
1991: Port Stanley Terminal Rail purchased 3709 along with boxcar 3772 for use as storage boxcars. The boxcar was renumbered to PSTR 301 and was stored in the PSTR’s Port Stanley yard.
2007: The Southern Ontario Locomotive Restoration Society purchased the boxcar along with boxcar PSTR 302 (THB 3772) for use as storage boxcars. The car became STCR 3709 and was stored in the Elgin County Railway Museum’s yard for a short period of time before moving to St. Jacobs for use on the Waterloo Central Railway. Upon arriving at WCR, the car became WCR 3709 and was restored back to its original paint scheme, along with a special Canada 100 logo added to each side of the car.
|Builder||National Steel Car|
|Date Built||May 1953|
|Lineage||Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo 3450
Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo 3709
Port Stanley Terminal Railway 301
St. Thomas Central Railway 3709
Waterloo Central Railway 3709
The historical information and photos presented on our website are gathered from several sources including historical websites, literature and first-hand accounts of volunteers, staff and industry experts.