History of Caboose 1040
1975: Waterloo Central Railway caboose 1040 was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway Angus Shops as CP 434530.
1990: Essex Terminal Railway purchased the caboose from the Canadian Pacific Railway for use as a crew car on their freight operations. The caboose became ETL 1610 and was repainted yellow with a solid black cupola.
2014: Waterloo Central Railway purchased the caboose from Essex Terminal Railway for use on our tour trains. The caboose was renumbered to WCR 1040 and moved to St. Jacobs, Ontario.
2017: WCR 1040 was rebuilt with a new interior for use as the “yellow caboose” on the WCR’s Polar Express train ride.
2020: Caboose 1040 is used on the Waterloo Central Railways regular trains, as well as on some special event trains.
History of Cabooses
A caboose is an office coupled at the end of a freight train or transfer. Cabooses, also known in Canada as vans, provided shelter for the crew at the end of a train. Cabooses were required for switching and shunting, and to keep a lookout for load shifting, damage to equipment and cargo, or overheating axles (also known as hot boxes) which could derail a train. Designs were originally modified box cars or flatbed cars carrying a cabin, but later became specialized cars, with projections above or to the sides of the car so crew could observe the train from shelter. The car also served as conductor’s office, and on long routes, included accommodation and cooking facilities.
|Builder||CP Angus Shops|
|Lineage||Canadian Pacific 434638
Essex Terminal Railway 1600
Waterloo Central Railway 1040
The historical information and photos presented on our website are gathered from several sources including historical websites, literature and first-hand accounts of volunteers, staff and industry experts.