History of Caboose 1041
1979: Waterloo Central Railway caboose 1041 was built by Canadian Pacific Railways Angus Shops as caboose CP 434638.
1990: Essex Terminal Railway purchased the caboose from the Canadian Pacific Railway for use as a crew car on their freight operations. The caboose became ETL 1600 and was repainted yellow with a half yellow & black cupola (black above the roofline). The cupola is an observation area on top of the caboose used by train crews for spotting problems with the train, such as a smoking wheel.
2014: Waterloo Central Railway purchased the caboose from ETR for use on their tour trains. The caboose was renumbered to WCR 1042 and moved to St. Jacobs.
2020: Caboose 1042 was renumbered to 1041 and is currently a regular part of Waterloo Central Railway’s consist used for charters, tourist trains and most importantly, bringing history to life.
History of Cabooses
A caboose is an office coupled at the end of a freight train or transfer. Cabooses, also known in Canada as vans, provided shelter for the crew at the end of a train. Cabooses were required for switching and shunting, and to keep a lookout for load shifting, damage to equipment and cargo, or overheating axles (also known as hot boxes) which could derail a train. Designs were originally modified box cars or flatbed cars carrying a cabin, but later became specialized cars, with projections above or to the sides of the car so crew could observe the train from shelter. The car also served as conductor’s office, and on long routes, included accommodation and cooking facilities.
|Builder||CP Angus Shops|
|Lineage||Canadian Pacific 434530
Essex Terminal Railway 1610
Waterloo Central Railway 1042
Waterloo Central Railway 1041
The historical information and photos presented on our website are gathered from several sources including historical websites, literature and first-hand accounts of volunteers, staff and industry experts.