History of Caboose 61
1914: Waterloo Central Railway caboose 61 was built by National Steel Car of Hamilton, Ont., as Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo 61. It was originally constructed as a wood-sheathed van and later rebuilt to steel.
1956: The van was painted in the yellow-and-black colours of Hamilton’s Canadian Football League Tiger-Cats.
1973: Caboose 61 was taken out of service after working for TH&B for almost 60 years.
1985: Port Stanley Terminal Rail purchased the caboose for their tour train in the Port Stanley area and received its current red paint. The caboose became PSTR 61 and was used on their trains until more passenger cars were added to the fleet.
2000: The Southern Ontario Locomotive Restoration Society purchased 61 for use on their new tour train. Caboose 61 became STCR 61 and was used on the consist for the SOLRS’ steam tours.
2007: The van was moved with the other SOLRS equipment to St. Jacobs, where it became Waterloo Central Railway 61.
History of Cabooses
A caboose is an office coupled at the end of a freight train or transfer. Cabooses, also known in Canada as vans, provided shelter for the crew at the end of a train. Cabooses were required for switching and shunting, and to keep a lookout for load shifting, damage to equipment and cargo, or overheating axles (also known as hot boxes) which could derail a train. Designs were originally modified box cars or flatbed cars carrying a cabin, but later became specialized cars, with projections above or to the sides of the car so crew could observe the train from shelter. The car also served as conductor’s office, and on long routes, included accommodation and cooking facilities.
|Type||Wood and Steel|
|Builder||National Steel Car|
|Date Built||August 1914|
|Lineage||Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo 61
Port Stanley Terminal Rail 61
The historical information and photos presented on our website are gathered from several sources including historical websites, literature and first-hand accounts of volunteers, staff and industry experts.