History of Locomotive 1002
1959: Waterloo Central Railway S13 No. 1002 was built by Montreal Locomotive Works in January 1959 as Pacific Great Eastern Railway 1002.
1972: PGE was renamed the British Columbia Railway in 1972 and became BC Rail in 1984.
1987: In February the locomotive was renumbered to BCOL 502.
1988: No. 502 was retired in May.
1992: In March Vancouver Wharves purchased BCOL 502 for use on their industrial operation. The locomotive became VWL 827.
1997: Vancouver Wharves sold No. 827 to Ontario Southland Railway. The locomotive became OSRX 502 and was repainted into OSR’s Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway inspired maroon and cream paint scheme.
2018: Waterloo Central Railway purchased Ontario Southland S13s 501 and 502 on May 16, 2018.
2020: WCR 502, still in its maroon and cream OSR colours, was taken into the shop in March to prepare it for repainting. A thorough mechanical inspection was performed, and necessary repairs were made. Work on No. 502 was interrupted by the COVID shutdown in mid-March. After several weeks of complete shutdown, the St. Jacobs shop reopened with strict protocols and a limited number of people allowed in the shop. Fortunately, all the supplies needed for the repainting were already on hand and our volunteers got back to work as soon as they were able to safely do so. On August 16, 2020, WCR 1002 made its debut.
Watch the Full Transformation of WCR 1002
|Type||Diesel - Electric|
|Builder||Montreal Locomotive Works|
|Date Built||January 1959|
|Lineage||Pacific Great Eastern Railway 1002
British Columbia Railway 1002
Vancouver Wharves 827
Ontario Southland Railway 502
Waterloo Central Railway 502
Waterloo Central Railway 1002
The historical information and photos presented on our website are gathered from several sources including historical websites, literature and first-hand accounts of volunteers, staff and industry experts.