History of Passenger Coach 3216
1954: Waterloo Central Railway passenger coach 3216 was built by Canadian Car & Foundry for Canadian National Railways as lightweight coach 5472. It was originally used as a coach on the Super Continental.
1964: In July the coach was renumbered to 3250.
1966: In May the coach was renumbered back to 5472.
1978: VIA Rail Canada purchased the coach from Canadian National Railways
1983: In January the coach was rebuilt into a café coach. The baggage racks and a section of 4 seats were removed and were replaced with a café. The coach was renumbered to 3216 and worked for VIA Rail Canada for 10 years.
1993: In February Canadian National Railways purchased the coach back from VIA Rail Canada. Upon purchasing the coach, it was renumbered to 40113 and was converted into a work service coach.
2001: Southern Ontario Locomotive Restoration Society (SOLRS) purchased the coach and saved it from going to the scrap yard. It was use on their tourist train on the St. Thomas Central Railway including in their steam excursions.
2007: The coach was moved with the other SOLRS equipment to St. Jacobs and became Waterloo Central Railway café coach 3216.
Present: Passenger coach 3216 is currently a regular part of Waterloo Central Railway’s consist used for charters, tourist trains and most importantly, bringing history to life.
|Builder||Canadian Car & Foundry|
|Lineage||Canadian National 5472
Canadian National 3250
Canadian National 5472
VIA Rail Canada 5472
VIA Rail Canada 3216
Canadian National 40113 (work service)
St. Thomas Central Railway 3216
Waterloo Central Railway 3216
|Total Area||720 sq. ft.|
|Dimensions||Interior: Width: 9 ft., Length: 80 ft.
Exterior: Width: 10ft., Length: 85 ft.
Some windows open
Snack bar area
The historical information and photos presented on our website are gathered from several sources including historical websites, literature and first-hand accounts of volunteers, staff and industry experts.